During the week beginning 2nd November Invergordon Academy took part in a week of raising awareness of dyslexia and how to support people who have it.
As part of Dyslexia Awareness Week we completed the following activities:
- Dyslexia Awareness lessons in PSE/Skills classes from S1-6
- Presentations on the TV screens in the corridors
- Posters / displays around the school
- Feeds on social Media
- Daily teacher “info bites” sent via e-mail during Dyslexia Awareness Week
- Pupil and Teacher surveys before and after raising awareness
The aim was that pupils, staff and parents will:
- have a better understanding of the difficulties faced by people with Dyslexia
- have increased knowledge of the strengths people with Dyslexia have and the advantages over others
- be more aware of the strategies and resources (ICT) they could use to improve their learning and study/revision.
It was also hoped that staff will be more aware of the pupils who have Dyslexia / specific literacy difficulties and parents will know who is providing specific support to their young person from the Support for Learning department.
The results of the week showed it was a great success again this year: