Kirsty D’Ambrosio, Adult Learning Coordinator with Highlife Highland has worked together with community members to prepare, plant, maintain and harvest a fine selection of fruit and veg over the past few months. The allotment, located at the front of the academy, has the advantage of a polytunnel which has helped the plants flourish over the variant temperatures. The next task is to prepare for next year. A group of pupils will be assisting Kirsty and her team by:
- Seed saving (collecting seed to grow next year)
- Composting- improving soil condition/mixing compost
- Clearing weeds in and around the polytunnel.
- Laying black matting and/or cardboard
- Digging up crops that have gone passed best and composting
- Picking remaining tomatoes, courgettes and corn
We hope the staff enjoyed the fruit and veg from this year and look forward to seeing how the allotment progresses over the next year.